Two nights ago, there was an unfortunate kitchen incident. Which now seems, to me, a bit humorous.
I'll begin with this: I am not sure why this is, but the drinking glasses in our home are NOT sturdy. In the month I have been here, at least four glasses have broken - perhaps more.
I don't think it is a case of operator error, either. None of us are accident-prone - though we may be developing new skill sets later in life.
At any rate, drinking glasses break easily in our home. And one of our pint glasses (I do live in the UK) broke Monday night as I was doing dishes. Unfortunately, I was not aware the glass had broken (in the dishpan - still cannot figure out how it broke) when I reached into the pan to wash this glass.
All this to say, I now have a fairly deep and painful cut on the left side of my right palm, an inch long. I thought it was longer, but seems it's only an inch. I should measure it. If I don't it will turn into one of those fishing stories.
On to the funny part (at least funny to me). After a night of it being bandaged (thanks to Jaelyn who came over with bandages and taped me up - I was alone at the time), one of my teammates suggested Super Glue as a means to keep the wound closed. I thought he was joking. That is, until he showed up later that night with bandages and a tube of the stuff.
He began by telling me he had great news - that he'd found a suture kit - with a little topical anesthetic for me, and a little whiskey for him. I don't know if it was the sincere expression on his face, or the fact that I know he's a first responder and bears a sleight resemblance to Grizzly Adams that made me believe him.
At which point, I started to panic a little. Getting in touch with my inner-three-year-old, I wondered which room I could run into and barricade myself in to hide from the bad man who wanted to sew up my hand. I asked if he were serious, and why couldn't he have just brought over salsa (for me), like he did for my flatmate when she had a cold.
He told me salsa wouldn't work for me, and with that, produced a tube of Super Glue, much to my relief. As long as there wasn't a needle involved, he could try to fix my hand any way he wanted.
24 hours later, the cut looks great, seems to be healing well.
Here's to Super Glue, and kids - don't try this at home. This guy was a trained professional.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yes!! I love hearing those kind of stories, how I miss being a part of it. Missing you so very much, hope you are well and enjoying the holiday season...this year won't be the same, even thought I'm home with my family...go figure. Take care my dear.
Post a Comment