Friday, September 29, 2006

Rain Day Blues

Sad. My hands are so thrashed from cleaning my flat they feel as though they might FALL OFF. Or shatter into a million pieces. Something like that. JJ and I have been cleaning for a few hours this afternoon, and I've been at it all day. Tomorrow the owners come to review the flat and take back the keys. Feels like college when we'd do "check out" of our dorms. Except they gave us a checklist. No checklist this time, which is unfortunate, since I really like checklists.

Earlier today we had our windows washed (outside & inside), and they look amazing. I'm a bit peeved that it took us this long to figure out to actually hire a window washer. It just isn't something you DO where I'm from. The thought seems extravagant - but here, it's a cultural norm. So I have 17 more hours to sit here and enjoy looking out my pristine windows...as if I get to sit for that long!

Sitting feels SO good, after cleaning everything in sight for the last 8 hours. Eating supper will be nice as well. Hm. Had I mentioned moving? J moved across town, and I am making a slightly bigger move - down to Farnham. That's in England, halfway between London and Southampton. I guess I mentioned England in my last post, but not the purpose. I'm doing some training for ministry purposes, and will be back in "student mode" for 6 months. Complete with winter break. But this time, I'm hoping to actually utilize my break - maybe go to Italy? Somewhere sunny, to be sure!

Only suitcases left for final organization, and a fridge to clean out. It's deep-cleans like this when I realize how pathetic my previous deep-cleans have been. Ugh! For the past two weeks, I've been in "purge mode" - ditching stuff I don't want to store, or don't have room to store. It's felt good to get rid of so much! Moving is good for that, it's a chance to lighten the load, and travel lighter than you thought you were traveling in the first place.

I'm sad to leave this flat (it's amazing!), and Glasgow. This has become home in the last two years. Teammates of mine have a wee sign up in their home, which reads, "Home is where the Lord leads us". I like that. Especially in my line of work!

No comments: