Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving

Happy (Early) Thanksgiving.



Today, I am hit with a mixture of homesickness and fondness for the holiday which will go on without me tomorrow across the pond.

This time last year, I was up to my elbows in pie and cheesecake ingredients, generally enjoying my kitchen and the daunting task of creating so many desserts. This year I am resting before assuming the role of support counselor on a healing retreat, in a place where there are only a few other Americans, and so the holiday will go largely unnoticed.

Tonight, my church in Irvine will gather together for a Thanksgiving Eve service (that's at 7:00PM PST, if you're so inclined) to celebrate and offer gratitude to God for the year. I'll miss that.

I'll also miss the traditions which come with this holiday, from times spent with friends, and the many years spent with family. I was remembering this morning the way the buffet looked in my grandparent's home, with the different pies and cheesecakes laid out for after the meal.
I know my family will be celebrating with my Dad's family tomorrow, and remember the bread basket from years ago - knowing my grandmother still has it, and knowing the Parkerhouse rolls will be passed from family member to family member in this basket - and that this (and meat), will be the sum total of my nephew's Thanksgiving meal.

I may celebrate late, on Friday, after the healing retreat concludes. I bought a can of Libby's pumpkin (for an exorbitant sum - London is more expensive than Glasgow) in preparation for the holiday, but so far, have not found an oven to use to turn this lovely canned pumpkin into a delis pie!
I, along with Zena (another American on the course) will be sure to watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving DVD my aunt sent last week (too late for the Great Pumpkin, too early for Christmas, but that will come soon enough)! If we can't make a pie, we'll watch Snoopy and the gang.

My friends here have been asking about "American Thanksgiving", and what sort of customs and traditions we have. One was keen to know if she should present me with a card? It is so dear that my friends are concerned for this holiday for me.
The mere fact that I won't have the time off tomorrow bothers me more than anything else, I think. I didn't realize how deeply I held this hoiday, or missed it.

I have a few hours to rest before the retreat begins, and so am using this time to contemplate those things I am thankful for, and show my gratitude to God, and others who have blessed me. One thing which is over and above anything else on my scale of gratitude today is my parents, who were married 37 years ago today. And for that, I am very grateful. Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad. I love and miss you.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Happy almost Thanksgiving, Sarah! I'll eat an extra piece of pumpkin pie for you. You'll be my excuse, okay?
I was in London for the Fourth of July one year, and it felt very lonely. Not only do they not celebrate that one, they'd rather erase the date altogether!

Jenny Jack said...

Hey you...thought of you lots as I made pumpkin pies on Wednesday...lot's of fun, and easier than I thought...though one sort of tasted a bit like fish...might have bought the savory pastry crust instead of sweet?? We'll never know...anyway, definitely remembered your baking extravaganza last year. Love you, J'j