Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wednesday Afternoon

My charge has been playing quietly (but not too quietly) by herself for nearly 40 minutes. I’m trying to determine how much longer I wait before I remind her that her mother promised her she could watch “Finding Nemo” this afternoon. If I time it right, she’ll be engrossed in the movie when her younger brother wakes up from his nap, and I can devote all my focus to feeding him – which is sometimes a full-time job. At 8 months, he is serious about his food, and once the feeding begins, interruptions are frowned upon.
Besides, it would kill you to see this particular 8-month-old furrow his brow – he’s way too cute for stuff like that.

We are now a team of 16 adults, 10 children strong. Our most recent addition joined us last weekend – a wee shock to his parents, who were expecting a girl. All of the pink, frilly and otherwise delicate clothing – designed for the fairer sex - had to be collected and dispatched. Bring in the blue, stripes, bold colors and automotive-themed clothing, bedding and the like. The parents were so prepared for a girl; it took a full day for the little guy to be named. Thankfully, the baby blanket I’d knitted for her (him) was white.

Today I awoke to blazing sunshine, making my pumpkin-colored walls glow, as though they were alive. It was the most delicious feeling to wake up and be completely taken aback at the appearance of my bedroom. What was wrong with it? It looked familiar, yet something was different? What was different? Why was it so bright – ah, yes, SUNSHINE. The longer I live here, and less days like today I experience, I do believe John Denver was quite right when he sang about the sunshine on his shoulders.

In approximately one week, I will be in Geneva, attending CRM’s International Women’s Conference. I look forward to seeing friends who serve in other countries, and reconnect with friends I made in June, and have not seen since. I also look forward to resting and playing with God, and allowing Him to minister to me, and heal more of my heart.

The upcoming week will be a busy one; we’re launching a new leadership-training program aimed at local church leaders. Essentially, it is a 15-week version of what we do in 42 weeks within NieuCommunities. Looks like we’ve got around 16 men and women signed up to participate in the program (called “The Project”), hope these weeks together will be a time of encouragement and challenge to them to grasp what God has given them to invest into the ministry He calls them to.

Looks like it’s time for Nemo…

No comments: