The Brach’s Pick-A-Mix sack. Seemed there was always this white sack, full of candy – waiting for me to search through it, to see what sweet treasures had made it in this time.
My grandfather and I would paw through the sea of shiny candy wrappers, discovering together, seeking out favorite flavors. He loved the butterscotch hard candies. Those were too adventurous for me, and so I favored the more familiar flavors of the hard peppermints, soft caramels or the chewy chocolate taffies with the flavored centers.
There was one candy – I don’t remember the flavor – but I remember what it looked like. It was a square piece, dark brown on one end, white in the middle, and vibrant pink on the other end. Maybe it was some sort of Neapolitan – I think the dark brown was chocolate, but the rest of the flavors escape me (although I don’t remember enjoying them, so the white must have been coconut – not my favorite flavor when I was 7).
That candy was beautiful; if ever a piece of candy was beautiful. I love dark brown and pink together – I even admired the brown and pink throw pillows in one of the department stores here last year. It must have been my fond memories of the beauty of the chocolate & coconut candies that inspired this move…

Hair Art engineered by Megan & Joolz, with assistance from Arlene.

No comments:
Post a Comment