Tuesday, July 18, 2006

iTunes Celebrity Playlist - Mel & Sarah

A couple of people have asked me if I'd come up with the "perfect road trip mix" of tunes for the drive from CA to MO, and then IL. Well, "perfect" is relative, isn't it? But for Mel & I, this WAS the perfect mix of tunes! We laughed, we cried, we sang along - it was better than Cats! It follows a geographical progression, west to east.

So here, I submit to you (the few who have asked after it), Mel & Sarah's "iTunes Celebrity Playlist". Enjoy, and sing along if you know them.


Gone To Santa Fe - David Wilcox
Wilcox is one of my favorites. This song is a shout-out to Mel's drive West into CA (and through NM).

Five O'clock World - The Vogues
Just a great song that tends to be in my head a lot. It says "freedom" to me.

Big Spender - Peggy Lee
Vegas, baby, Vegas.

Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett
Mel's Accord is a far cry from a Mustang, but it's a good driving tune.

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
Is it "BA-Ba-baaaa" or "Dut-dah-daaaaa"??

Red Hill Mining Town - U2
A nod to the Red Hills of Utah (still my least favorite State in the Union).

Take It Easy - Travis Tritt
For a coupla country gals, this was a great one to sing to. Sorry, Glenn.

Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
This was pretty much us driving out of CO...

Thousand Miles From Nowhere - Dwight Yoakam
...and into KS...oh, my...nothing out here....

King Of The Road - Roger Miller
We knew every word of this...doesn't everyone?

Queen of my doublewide trailer - Sammy Kershaw
Mel says this song is when you KNOW you really love Sammy. Apparently, I REALLY LOVE Sammy. I love this song.

Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver
Though not technically in the correct part of the Nation for this song, we drove A LOT of country roads.

Smokey Mountain Rain - Ronnie Millsap
Gotta have a little Ronnie...

Fishin' in the Dark - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
I love this song.

All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down - The Mavericks
Hilarity ensued, which, at this point in the game, was a good thing.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder
Ah, Stevie.

Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
Amazingly sexy man. Sing with feeling.

Truckin' (Remastered Version) - Grateful Dead
Road trip mix isn't a road trip mix without a little Dead.

American Made - The Oakridge Boys
This song reminds me of Mel. She's so international, yet so down-home.

I've Been Everywhere - Johnny Cash
We cheered for the places we'd been when Johnny sang 'em.

Chicago - Frank Sinatra
The ultimate destination - where Beth was! And where I'd fly out of, back to GLA.

Yeah! - Usher featuring Lil' Jon & Ludacris
A shout-out to Beth, who loves this song, and listened to it last year whenever she cleaned the flat.

Time For Me To Fly - REO Speedwagon
My cue, heading to O'Hare...

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks for the shout-out love! It was great to see it! Ah, good times...and to think it was IAN who put that song on a mix for me. For all his music elitism he really know a good song when he hears it! For all you who aren't sure about it...just get out a rag, a mop and and duster and clean away baby, clean away! :)