
Last week I met Megan (Midj) for a coffee date at Starbuck's. JJ had the hour appointment before mine, having a "catch up" coffee with her. When I arrived at my appointed time, I noticed an abandoned double chocolate muffin sitting on a plate on the table in front of them.
"What's with the muffin?", I asked.
"Don't know, she just didn't eat it." came the reply.
JJ looked at me incredulously. "You're not going to eat that, are you?"
I shrugged.
Megan grinned and laughed at me.
Later, as Megan and I talked (and JJ had gone), an employee came to clear away mugs from the table.
"All finished?" she asked, as she reached for the plate with the unscathed, abandoned muffin.
Megan looked at me questioningly.
"Ah, yes, we are..." I didn't move, but sat watching the muffin.
Megan's eyes darted from me, to the muffin, and then back, as though she were watching an invisible tennis match.
"Maybe we'll just keep this" I said, reaching for the muffin and staking our claim on the abandoned baked good.
I set the muffin on a napkin in front of us.
Megan looked at me. "D'ya think there's anything the matter with it?" she asked, after the employee left.
"Don't know. She just left it?"
"Yeah."
"Hm."
I reached for it, and we sat and nibbled, contemplating the muffin. After a bit, the inevitability of our decision to sample the muffin now past (because "hey - free muffin"), we snapped a photo, commemorating our eating of the abandoned baked good. It wasn't bad. And we're still alive.

No comments:
Post a Comment