Today I am working on writing assignments for the diploma course here, which is why I haven’t been more diligent in updating this thing. I’m spending my days writing – if it isn’t any number of these assignments (yesterday I finished off three of them – five more to go today) – it is hammering out a vision statement and my “dream existence” for a team I am looking at joining up with when I am finished here. I think the proper term for us checking one another out is “courting”.
Last night we had a BBQ, in the rain. I wish I’d had my camera with me. It was a little pathetic, all of us standing in a queue to get a burger, holding umbrellas; huddled around tables, holding umbrellas. I was quite the popular girl when I showed up with my huge (pink) golf umbrella.
I couldn’t help myself from commenting to my other ex-pat friends as we huddled together, “This sure isn’t how we do it in America, is it?”. I know, I know…ugly American; but I’ve been here long enough for people to know and love me. It was just so funny, and pathetic, and fun, and totally un-American.
I think we, as Americans are (and hold your fire, please) a little wimpy when it comes to weather issues. Over here, if you have to go out to the shops (read: grocery store, etc.) for milk or whatever, you go. Rain or shine. You don’t really get to hole up on account of rain and do movies and popcorn for the day. You’d never leave your flat! Don’t get me wrong – Glaswegians are the first to tell you about the weather and what they really think of it – but they’re out in it! We just don’t do that in California.
It may also be noteworthy to mention that while I’ve been writing today, I’ve been enjoying the chocolate tea I was given for my birthday (since it’s been cooler and threatening rain for most of the afternoon). It is not actually as alarming or concerning as one (I) may have previously thought. I actually like it.
I volunteered to help facilitate a group for the workshop that begins tonight, concluding Sunday sometime (provides me with great experience and free room & board while I’m here on the break). That being said, I’d better get back to writing those five other papers.
Enjoy the sunny summer you are undoubtedly having…unless you live in Glasgow.
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
And unless you're in the Southern hemisphere, in which case it's winter. (But it's still sunny here...)
I totally agree with you about the weather thing.... Californians turn into the BIGGEST crybabies should a drop dare to fall from the sky. Not to mention that at the first sign of a cloud the media gets all, "STORM WATCH 2007!" But the real reason we hole up with popcorn and movies on rainy days is because we're the smart ones that know that the rest of us forget everything they ever learned about how to drive like a rational person when it begins to rain! So, it's either go without milk, or take your life in your hands and join the crazed mobs driving like they've recently donated their brains to charity.
Post a Comment