Sunday, July 08, 2007

Skunk Works

My Mom read this book; She recounted to me the moment the engineers knew design of the stealth bomber actually worked - the morning they arrived in the hanger to find dead bats beneath the plane.

Tonight I lamented the house I live in lacked such engineering. Twice today we’ve retrieved some staff men to rid our house of baby bats. Not that as women, we aren’t capable of bat capture – but it’s like my grandmother says about taking out the trash or barbequing – “Of course you can do it, but why would you want to?”
She has a point about the trash, but cooking with fire is totally different in my book.

We wondered what was drawing them into the house on this particular night – we’ve had the windows open for weeks. Tonight is a bit colder than it’s been, and our heating has been going full-blast (something seems not to be working properly, as the indicators say it is switched off. The hot pipes running through my room tell different), so we thought it was perhaps the heat. But aren’t bats all about living in dank caves and such? Anyone out there bat-savvy?

So I sit, writing this, nearly sweltering (windows are closed on account of “Bat Watch 2007”), pipes running hot, I’m trying to think of this as “cozy”. That thought is nearly passable if it weren’t July 8. Pass the cold water…

No comments: