Saturday, September 22, 2007

Ah, Paris...

Today we moved from Disneyland Paris (DLP) to the city. I now officially feel that I am in France.

DLP was fun; laid out in similar fashion to the original, all the lands were where one might expect them to be. Themes throughout the park were identical, but with a slightly different "flavor". And "Pirates" still had the guy trying to get from shore into the boat, loaded down with plunder, balancing, yes, EXACTLY FIVE hats on his head. Different hats, but there were still EXACTLY FIVE.

I know you are wondering, and the answer is that I was once the President of the Annual Passholder's Club on my Uni campus, and made up a trivia/scavenger hunt through the park for our members.

Apart from walking through clouds of cigarette smoke and alcohol being served in most eateries, it felt very much like I was back in So Cal. One minor oversight (or perhaps simply an omission); DLP does not have New Orleans Square, much to my dismay. Hands down, the square is my favorite place in Disneyland.

Last night we had an amazing supper at a place called "The California Grill". More upscale than the name might suggest, our meals were served on oversized plates, making the presentation a)more dramatic and b)seem more diminutive than they actually were. Everything was superb, including the wine (and the service). I was in foodie heaven.


Now that we're in the city, the new hotel is great. I have yet to eat anything here, which is limited to breakfast anyway, but my view is amazing. See below - this is out my window, and to the right. Seriously.



My Aunt & Uncle stayed here 6 years ago, and enjoyed the stay so much, they're back for more. My uncle recommended ordering breakfast in my room (which turns out to be cheaper anyway...?!?), rather than eating in the breakfast room. He said what is brought to the room is superior. We'll find out at 0930 tomorrow morning. Hope the coffee is hot.

When we arrived I was so tired, I begged off the walk and remained behind, to settle in. No sooner had my head hit the pillow, than I was off one of my infamous "power naps". Four hours later, I felt great. Time to find something to eat. My family was ready to settle in, having taken their walk and already eaten a petite something.

In the two hours I walked around, I managed to locate THREE Starbuck's (I know you were wondering about that; and yes, I ordered a drink - chai tea latte - less caffine), and assorted other shops. I love this area of Paris, and it's the only part I know so far!

I forgot my camera tonight, on purpose, I suppose. Couldn't be bothered with carrying it - but couldn't not get a shot of this - not bad for using a mobile phone!



There was a film crew working on something, but I couldn't see anything (or anyone) to keep my interest, so I wandered back to the hotel. I'll ask around, someone will know something.

Tomorrow it sounds like we'll be doing a city bus tour - one of my favorite ways to get to know a new city. Stay tuned for more photos and updates!

1 comment:

PunkMonk said...

good use of the word 'diminutive.'