Thursday, February 16, 2006

Chris Thile drinks Guinness




The title of this post may mean nothing to you. If that is the case, read no further (you have better things to do, right?).

For those in the know, you're wondering how I know this. I know this because I saw him drinking it...on stage...tonight...
lest you think I'm a stalker, I assure you I'm not. Just got back from the Nickel Creek gig, perhaps the most amazing show ever.

Nickel Creek is an incredible band to watch live - they are all amazingly gifted and talented musicians. If you have the chance, do yourself the favor of seeing them. You'll not be sorry.
I saw them tonight at a smaller venue here in town - smaller in comparison to the last place I saw them in the States - the events arena @ UCSD. Tonight's venue was a much more intimate setting and was perfect - even in spite of the trains, lumbering across their tracks above our heads. All the same, a much better venue & gig - at least from this side of the microphone.

The performance of "House of Tom Bombadil" was a special treat - an ode to one of Tolkien's "Rings" characters - left out of the recent trilogy. They inserted a song within their song - Randy Newman's "Short People" (think about WHO Tom Bombadil was for a moment...if you don't know, go read the book). It was brilliant. I've never enjoyed creative genius quite so much - laughter ensued.

Later in the gig, claiming to be "music ambassadors", they performed a song from the States for the "Glasgow-wiegians" (uh, that would be "Glaswegians"...) to enjoy. You haven't lived until you've seen Chris Thile imitate Brittany Spears in NC's rendition of "Toxic". Some things are better left in America (though it was fairly hilarious).

For the final song of the encore, they managed to work the song "The Weight" by The Band into their song "The Fox".
I nearly died on the spot. The chorus of "The Weight" goes a little something like this:

Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free
Take a load off Fanny, and you put the load right on me

If you've ever lived here, or if you're Scottish, you know that the word "fanny" is offensive. Very.
So I stood there, anticipating the chorus, wondering what the reaction would be. The crowd seemed to be very enthusiastic about the song - but I can't say that I noticed many of them singing the lyrics, nor grimacing at the use of the word - which was repeated several times, being a part of the chorus. I don't quite know what to make of the reaction - but it was a fun moment.

Go see the band - Nickel Creek, that is. Maybe you can have a Guinness, too.

No comments: