This past week, the weather has offered a little something for everyone, including the Californians.
That's right - blinding SUN. Enough sunshine, that I even considered taking my uber-cool LA shades out of moth balls and WEARING THEM.
With the sun, comes the cold. The one thing I have found to appreciate in our overcast days here is the warmth cloud cover brings. This week has been mainly dry and clear - with the exception of Monday, when it seemed Glasgow was trying to make up for it's dry fall & winter months in the space of 5 hours. Everyone I saw looked like a drown rat, including me. Wasn't pretty.
Tuesday night, however, was an entirely different story. The sky was clear, and deep navy blue, with bright stars. Much like the night skies over Orange County after the Santa Ana winds have blown all the yukky stuff away, and all you've left to look at is the perfect sky, with more than the requisite four stars you see on normal evenings. The similarities ended there, because post-Santa Ana skies occur in much warmer weather - but the sight was inspiring. The sky that night reminded me of summer nights at camp, laying on a grassy field, looking into billions of tiny white specks, and knowing as a teen that God must have had fun putting them into place up there.
Yesterday, upon returning home, my flatmate asked me if it was cold outside. I think the tell-tale sniffles (sounding something akin to an 80's movie with lots of cocaine use) gave it away (must remember to wipe nose BEFORE entering house).
Despite the cold temperatures, I seem to be acclimating well. Today, for instance, I wore a skirt with tights, and a warm sweater set - and my long coat. Long coats are a must - they keep you so much warmer! I think I may save my hand and toe warmers (a Christmas package finally arrived this week!) for visitors from CA!
Thursday, February 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment