Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Barbara and the Road Trip


As you know, Barbara was here. And her visit was good. Sunday, we sat on Buchanan Street and ate fish and chips from Blue Lagoon (a local chain - which nearly wrecked me for the rest of the day) discussing call, and missions and living cross-culturally.
After the wind got too cold, we found shelter in the Willow Tea Room, where our conversation continued - where to go next, what is it to be a single girl on the mission field, what it was like to leave family and friends for the unknown.


Barbara takes a self-portrait @ George Square.

As I write this, B. is still in Pretoria. She said in an email that her first week was amazing. I was really excited and thankful to hear that. I love the process it is to get to where we're going. I suppose it is easier to walk with another in their process sometimes than it is to walk my own. But as I walk with others through their lives, I find that somehow those times come back to mind when I need them in my own life.
I am able to see their struggle reflected in my own life, and as easily as I could see the answer for them, the answer seems to stare me in the face.

I suppose that is why this week is so enjoyable for me - NC Glasgow has our own crew of "road trippers" for the next week. It is terrific to interact with this small group of folks who have taken a week+ from their year to ask God "What next?". I love this place! Perhaps because I feel I am still very much in that place.


Tim leads a conversation over lunch...Blue Lagoon again...I opted for sausage and chips - gettin' too old for this...

It is a question we need to always ask, lest we become static in our lives. I have never been one for much change - my college roommate discovered this when we drove to three different shops to find the Breck shampoo I was using at the time - but somehow I am growing in this. I am more open to change, more open to asking "what's next?". I don't feel settled right now, and somehow (by the grace of God) I am really okay with this! Shocking, I know, for those who know me well. Growth, indeed!

No comments: