Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Same, but different

Living in another culture presents a myriad of opportunities to try new things. It also presents opportunities to remember that things you have back in your country of origin might be slightly different in a different cultural context.

Coca-Cola is a good example of this.

You can find Coke pretty easily in the UK. Same red can (or bottle), same branding, everything looks the same. Until you taste it. My cousin discovered this the night we met up for dinner. Maybe I should have warned him, but I sat, silently waiting his reaction. He didn't have to say a word - it was all over his face after his first sip.

"Not the same, is it?"

"Uh...no."

I'm reminded of that today, as I've let my inner-Californian out. Sunny and (relatively) warm, flip-flops and sunglasses have come out. I dare say that this cafe is quite warm, or at least I am quite warm sitting here. I ordered a Coke, with lemon. I was ready to sit back and enjoy a Coke with lemon - and as I took my first sip, I realized I ready for an AMERICAN Coke with lemon.
At least it is cold, and has been served with a generous three ice cubes!!

No comments: