The beginning. A new adventure, new stories to be told or written - a fresh start. I like the concept of Chapter One. I also like the coffee shop with the same name - easily my favorite - in Hyndland, not far from my flat.
Generally I am there a few times each week, for a meeting, to work or just to get a cup of coffee and say hello to the women who work there, Susan, Rachel and Kim. I spent so much time there recently (hunkered down in a corner working), that Susan told me she wasn't sure if she should charge me rent or give me a job. I had become a fixture, she told me.
"We have chairs, and tables, couches...and Sarah."
I took a break from my role as "fixture" for a week, and dropped in for a coffee, just so she wouldn't worry about me so much.
Today, I took over sticky toffee pudding from Sunday night's baking marathon. Sticky toffee turns out to be Susan's favorite - she affirmed what my grandparents have been telling me for 32 years, that I am, indeed, a very clever girl. I have developed a reputation there for showing up with white boxes tied up with red ric-rac, containing various baked goods. I'm not sure what has been more popular - but before today, there was a request for more "banana cake" at Christmastime. No need to wait THAT long!
Today was also Kim's last day working there. She leaves for Australia on Friday, she'll be away for a year. Chapter One...Australia. Sounds like a fun adventure.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment