Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Good Quote

Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.
--Charles M. Schulz


My friend sent me this quote in a recent email. She's going into missions - South Africa - and we've been talking about saying good-byes.

This and recent emails from other friends have me thinking on the importance of community. It also makes me think of this quote I used for an English/Art project in high school, "Wherever you go, there you are". Or some version of that. That and "Bloom where you're planted" - which I sent a refrigerator magnet of to a friend years ago, as he was struggling with the place he was called to for that season.

Seems we can make the best of each place we're in, if we recognize that we're there for a purpose. It's just that getting over ourselves and our own egos/agendas/plans is difficult sometimes - often because those things can be so big. But we have to get over them in order to be able to see the purpose. God give us sight to see.

I need more hellos. Do you? Who can I say hello to? My 89-year-old neighbor? I can listen to her stories. I can give her a voice by listening. I can take her more banana bread...I think she really liked it.

Hello...hm.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hello, hello, I don't know why you say Good-bye, I say Hello...story of our lives?! Perhaps. Maybe we'll have a long hello again...would love it to be sometime soon. Miss you much, talk soon?!

lauren said...

hello! this is lauren from the nieu communities team soon to be joining you! check out my blog that i just started at voiceofyoureyes.blogspot.com :D