It wasn't until this week in Bath when I realized how much I missed living in the city. While Farnham is lovely (English country, peaceful, quiet, serene), it's quite isolated when you don't have a car or international driving priviledges (I've been here too long, so now must take a driving test if I want to drive). I've been (sub-conciously) mourning the loss of some independance since I've moved down to this part of England.
It was such a JOY to find shops I knew from Glasgow (some of my favorites, as well!), a Starbucks, and my (UK) bank! Something clicked back in, and it was refreshing to be in the seemingly familliar. I KNOW how to do city life, and it was also good to get a bit of independance. Here, we are on the same schedule - and sometimes I feel like a wee fish in a larger school of fish, swimming along with the crowd.
It was also fun to walk through the city and see the punk kids hanging out. I wanted to ditch the conference and talk with them, find out their stories, and just hang out (you can take the girl out of Glasgow...).

(As opposed to the red coats...? I know, I know...sorry)!
"Red Cup Day" (November 1) is one of my personal holidays. I think you need those - personal holidays - days that are important to you (and potentially no one else), marking the occasion of somthing special. In this case, "Red Cup Day" is also exciting for a few other friends, so I feel validated for holding this as a personal holiday.
This one is special for me, because it means that Christmas is even CLOSER (YEA!!), not to mention the very chic red cup color! It also marks the start of the Starbuck's "holiday drinks". Gingerbread Lattes and Peppermint Mochas, here I come!! V. excited that my personal holiday is upon us.
Left to Right: Heather (South Africa) , Zena ("Zsh-en-na", from the US) and I out for an after-dinner walk one evening in Bath.

1 comment:
Oh, Sarah. I am afraid I must boycott Red Cup Day. (I'm a bit late.) I am not opposed to the red cups or the "holiday" drinks, per se....but along with those items arrive the "holiday" (read: "Christmas") decorations. I cannot abide Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. November is a time for orange. Not red. :-P
Post a Comment