Saturday, October 21, 2006

Starbuck's Theory

While I was back in the States this summer, I met a good friend for a quick cup of coffee (at the "Church of the Green Apron"). Somehow in our conversation it came out that he has a "Starbuck's name" (an alias he uses only at Starbuck's when they ask what name to put on the cup at the time you order).

I was stunned. I thought only WASPy single girls with safety-paranoid journalist mothers did this.

"Seriously?!? You have a Starbuck's name?"
"Yep."
"Well, what IS it...?"
"Kip."

Turns out, WASPy, married girls with mothers of varying professions do this, too. I was reading another friend's blog, and SHE has one, too!

Are we all so paraniod that we need to have an alter-ego order our coffee for us? What's the deal? Who else out there has a Starbuck's name? Anyone? Anyone...? Let me know if you do, and WHY you do...

2 comments:

Kristy said...

From the WASPy married girl: I admit, I do have a Starbucks name. But it has nothing at all to do with paranoia, and everything to do with amusing myself. It started out partly because fully 25% percent of the girls in my generation share my name (ok, maybe not that many), and having them call out "Kristy" in a Starbucks isn't much different from calling out "Mom" in a grocery store. And also just because I like to have different names! I usually use Stella, because I go often to the same Starbucks, but in different places I use different names. See, funny, huh? Okay, maybe not so funny. But it makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Who's Theroy? Is that like Leroy? ;-)

I don't have a Starbucks name, even though it bugs me that they ALWAYS spell my name wrong on the cup. I've never been one for fake names, because I'll forget that I gave a fake name and then wonder why I never get my beverage. But I've been with Kristy numerous times on very different occasions as she has given out numerous different fake names.