Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Baking Report/Happy Thanksgiving

This post is dedicated to Louisa "Bubba" Stringer, who always receives my baking updates.



Our church, RE:hope (Regarding Hope) is putting on "American Thanksgiving" for anyone who wants to show up. Glasgow City Mission has kindly given us use of their building Thursday night, as they are not using it. We're having a turkey with all the trimmings. I was consulted on cranberry sauce earlier this week, someone is bringing a vat of mashed potatoes, and I am in charge of the pies.

Wade (sweet man that he is) asked me if I would make the pies for this blessed event. I should KNOW better. Now, Wade is in charge of our dinner, but he also is from the South. Which means that if he asks me, he'll lay on the charm. And compliment my baking. WITH the accent.

Since flattery gets you lots of places, I obliged. Then he told me we needed 8 pies.

I'm not sure our collective team OWNS 8 pie plates. I have two, but those are on a boat, in the middle of the ocean somewhere.
Fellow teammate Kellie came to my rescue, and volunteered to pick up two desserts at Costco when they picked up the turkey, etc.

So, here's what's cookin':
Pumpkin Pies (3)
Pumpkin Cheesecake (2)
Carrot Cake (2)
Apple Crisp (1)

Sound like a lot? Keep in mind we're expecting 75 people.
It seems the Scottish are very curious about pumpkin pie. They've never had it, and my flatmate, Amy had never seen a can of Libby's pumpkin.
"Why not use a pumpkin?" she asked.
"That can saves me hours of cooking the pumpkin down" , I replied (not that I CAN'T - I've done it before, and it's worth it. I just have a deep appreciation for Libby's canned pumpkin).

I hope Wade remembered to con - I mean ASK - someone to bring Parkerhouse Rolls.



Three of the finished products! I hope they like 'em...

No comments: