Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Going Back

Well, two more days to be in my native habitat. Maybe that should induce some sort of strong emotion, but it doesn't, really.

Last night I met a friend for coffee, and had a good visit. We talked about God, relationships, and calling.

I suppose I am just on mental countdown to return to the place that I know God has set before me as home. This past year, I've had some interesting conversations with my friend Myke, who now lives in Germany. As two single women living abroad, we've shared some good conversation and are able to relate to one another on this level. We've discovered that living overseas, in another culture - trying to really embrace that culture, is HARD. Perhaps more difficult than I would have thought for myself, living in the UK (where they speak "english" - sorta like me).

Yes, living in another country is fun, and exciting. But sometimes it is difficult. The difficulty comes in living in the day-to-day where expectations are not met ("Oh, they don't do it this way here...") and dealing with the loss of the familiar. Part of that is exciting, but part is difficult. I don't say this to whine, but to be honest, and perhaps remind myself that there is a small level of underlying stress there (my father's favorite soapbox - if he ever were to have one is this - "All change produces stress - good or bad - it produces stress." I've memorized those words, and can now say them with him).

Myke and I have also talked about the idea of "home". What (or where) is home? What makes one - and where is mine? We both worked through this idea over the last year.
My friends on staff in Glasgow have a wee plaque up in their kitchen - a gift from a friend - which reads "Home is where the Lord leads us". I liked this.
It struck a chord in me somewhere, that indeed, it is the Lord's leading that determines our home. It made so much sense to me, in particular. After being in country only 6 weeks, the Lord revealed to me that Glasgow was to be my home.

Only a few more days 'till I'm home. Home in a place where I've never been - I've got a new flat this year - but I look forward to embracing it, and creating home in it. I look forward to bringing family and friends into this new home and welcoming them there.

No comments: