Today is Saturday, and JJ & I are sitting about discussing the weather (29F @ 11:30am), aspects of spiritual formation (how do we experience God's protection and love in the face of great pain and anguish), and the finer points of my friend Barbara's blog ("Do those links really go to the songs...???").
And BJH, if you ARE reading this - please email me to explain the website "ALL consuming", because JJ is quite intrigued, and enthralled, though quite befuddled by it - being a fellow big-word-user, I know you'll understand her state of mind.
JJ just found a page on "ALL consuming" which asked, "Do you live here?", and then featured a photograph of a close (front hallway to a building - not really a foyer, but kinda-sorta-but not really) in Glasgow - which really looked strikingly like ours - I've renamed "ALL consuming" "Stalker.com".
Of course, most closes in Glasgow do look quite similar. For an example of what these look like, rent the movie "Dear Frankie". Set in "Glasgow", it is a great shot of UK life. You'll probably want to use the subtitle option to understand what is being said, unless you're from around here.
Today I have a pan of baked oatmeal to deliver to my director, Tim. Before I left last year, Tim told me that he would not allow me to leave until I had baked enough oatmeal to last until I returned. I knew his freezer would not hold that much, so I promised a pan when I got back. Hopefully it will be as good as he remembers - despite the fact I realized I left out the baking soda. Alas.
As it is quite cold outside, it is then, quite cold inside. JJ & I have decided it is worth being cold indoors to have the curtains and blinds open, to let in what available light there is. The dark days are a bit of a bummer here - both having spent a decade in So Cal, I think we miss the sun. We'll need to look into full spectrum bulbs, and a sun lamp - either that, or start tanning...which is bad, I know. If I thought I'd actually use it, I'd add self-tanner to my Christmas list.
Folks here actually do tan (go to a tanning bed), or use self-tanner - I don't know which process is responsible for this, but some women around here are actually ORANGE. Last year, while watching television at a friend's home, I saw a commercial for some insurance company - which is irrelevant - the relative point, is, that they had different characters needing insurance, and so they had drawn them in - several different races- including a blonde Caucasian woman, with - you guessed it - orange skin. Literally, orange.
Saturday, November 19, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well, when you call me out, I guess I have to comment! What links to what songs?! Stalker possibilites on All Consuming? I know nothing of such things!!
For what it's worth, I'll ring in on the spiritual formation question: How do we experience God in the face of great pain and anguish?
From my experience and understanding, that's when we most readily and easily experience Him. God has names like Healer, [my] Strength, Rock, Deliverer, etc. All names given to Him b/c of OUR nature, not only His. Healer-b/c we're broken; Strength-b/c we're weak; Rock-b/c we're shaky; Deliverer-b/c we're screwed.
I find it harder to really experience God when things are going well. Sure it's easy to attribute 'good things' to His blessings, but we know they're not always that. But when I'm hurting, when I'm broken, when I'm wounded, THAT's when I can really experience the fullness of God b/c of who He is to me in those circumstances. When I have joy amidst suffering, I KNOW where that comes from. When I have joy amidst triumph... not so sure all the time - could be from God... could just be I'm high on the good life.
For me, the real question is, how do I experience God when everything's going my way? When my funds are in? When my team's winning? Amidst health and wealth?
God's strength is most evident in our weakness. His company is most felt in our lonliness. His love is deepest when we're unloved.
That's just my... tuppence worth.
Post a Comment