Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Creating Home

Today, JJ and I made an excursion to Ikea, to find some needed household items. After a few failed attempts to get a cab, we flagged down a cabby who was glad to take us (and our money) to the home of temporary Swedish furniture.

While we were there, amidst the table lamps, extension cords and wall art, we made an amazing discovery! Actually, we made two amazing discoveries, but the child's fish meal for 1BPS ($1.72, today) wasn't AS amazing as our second discovery, which turned into a steal we decided to take home with us.
Just this morning, we were wondering what we might do for extra seating in our lounge. Answer: a "tiered ottoman" found in the bargain section of Ikea. This will provide much-needed seating when team prayer meetings or other events are held at our flat.



We've discovered many uses for it already, and JJ was kind enough to model how it might be used as a kneeling bench for prayer (I'm not sure she's really praying, though...).



This photo is dedicated to my girl Melanie in Gilman City, MO (Look, Mel, the OCEAN) .



I will also take a moment to make a shameless plug for Melanie. She is an amazing woman, who I was privileged to get to know last year when we were both participants together here in Glasgow. I love this woman. She has an amazing heart, and I miss her presence in this city.
Her heart runs deep with love for her God, and for "her people" - who would be anyone from me, to a homeless person she worked with at Glasgow City Mission last year, to orphans in South Africa. God has gifted her with an amazing capacity to show His love to others, and stand in the gap for those who may not be seen otherwise. Melanie gives a voice to the voiceless.

At the moment, Mel is preparing to move to South Africa to serve on staff with NieuCommunities, Pretoria. She's also in the midst of raising support. Preparing to leave one country to move to another is a challenging thing, and raising support in the midst of that is even more challenging. Please keep her in prayer. Pray for her heart, that the Lord would meet her in all her needs as she prepares to leave. Pray also that He would provide all she needs financially.

I think it is appropriate that I mentioned Melanie in this entry. The title of this post is "Creating Home", and that was something that Melanie did very well for us all last year. For Christmas, she made wee throw pillows for our entire participant team, which are still in use to this day. I have no doubt that the staff team in South Africa will feel more at home than they ever have once Mel arrives in Pretoria.



Melanie @ Inspiration Point, CMD, Orange County, CA September, 2005

On the topic of "creating home", I am really excited about another purchase at Ikea - gingerbread house kits!! WOOO-HOOO!
As I stood looking at them, an entire youth event came rushing into my brain - kind of like how the old mining town at the Universal Studios backlot tour gets flooded with gallons upon gallons of water - BAM!

Girl's Christmas Party, complete with gingerbread house decorating competition!!

So really, I'm more excited about the EVENT the purchase sparked. You could begin praying about said event - the date, the details, all the young women who will be here. I so look forward to this. I'll let you know how it shapes up. There are a few young women I met at the last game night I'd love to have over for this.

Pray for the youth ministry piece of this year. While about half my time will be spent doing administration, making sure everyone's ducks are in a row, the other half will be divided between youth ministry, ministry to one of our staff families here in the form of childcare and study. But more on that later...that's work stuff.

No comments: