Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Mother of Invention

Last night, heading to bed, I suddenly got COLD. Makes sense, it was 30F outside.
It was late, and our timed heat had switched off a bit earlier. The funny part was that I had just – about two minutes earlier – sent an email to a friend back home, saying that I was rather WARM in my two layers of t-shirts, despite the cold temperatures we’ve been having. No sooner had I sent the email, than shivers began rattling through my body.

My room is on the back of out flat, and I think there is a wee draft in my window. The flags in my pencil cup waft gently every evening, as though my desk were hosting it’s own parade. The draft makes it seem I am living in a meat locker. Which is great – how many germs can survive in a meat locker? But it stinks for getting into bed.

As I hugged my iBook to me for warmth, I had an idea. I pulled back my duvet, and placed the laptop in the middle of my bed, and then pulled the covers over it.
My iBook was transformed into a heating device. Laura Ingles stayed warm on sleigh trips with hot potatoes in her pockets, I could warm my bed with my laptop for a few minutes.
Sadly, my hot water bottle has not arrived yet (it’s in the shipment, still at sea) when it does, my iBook can go back to a hum-drum existence of word and data processing.



[This blog was written from my bed last night, where I used my warm laptop a bit more before turning in for the night].

No comments: