Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Breathing Space

It is finished.

The movers have come and gone...Taken it all away. I'll not see my belongings for another 6 weeks.

It's a little cold here today, and I am glad for the lone sweater which survived the cut! I need it.

I am also glad for this to be past me. It has been a bit overwhelming and a bit lonely doing this all by myself. I emailed my flatmate this week, just to tell her I wished for her company while I packed (returning the favor I extended in September). There is something comforting about just having someone there while you make all these major decisions, and someone there to tell you you aren't crazy for wanting to take EVERYTHING you've ever owned; including the Garfield bookmark you got for helping in the library in Jr. High, or the one that says "I (heart) Books", circa 1984.

Even though I've got much more to do, I'm breathing easier having sent off my things. The movers were great - an hour tops, and they had everything wrapped, boxed and on the truck. 5 signatures in triplicate later, I was on my way, and so were they.

Now, I continue packing and negotiating bedding in compression bags, and the much coveted suitcase space!

Thursday is my farewell party, given by Stephanie & her Mom. My Dad & one of his music groups will send me off in style (I don't know how many Scottish songs they know - but they've got plenty of Irish songs to play)!

Soon I'll be across the pond! Yippee. I will mean that last comment more whole-heartedly when my bags are actually packed.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Yay! That's a load off your shoulders.